Fragments of life...


I regularly view at least five blogs authored by recovering alcoholics. I love the insight and specific nature in which these guys look at their lives. Moment by moment they receive life as it comes, it seems. Here is one example of the beauty that comes from these sites on a regular basis:
  • "You won't get ahead by searching in vain for ways to quickly jump there. You will get ahead by using every opportunity to steadily and diligently work your way there, step after step after step." ~Ralph Marston

Which fits well with my mantra:

  • "Faith is taking the first step without being able to see the whole staircase." ~MLK jr.

Life is lived in very small pieces; each step brings us closer to our final destination, physically and spiritually. I think about this a lot. All the good stuff is built up of small (but significant) pieces: relationships, finances, profession, fitness, maintaining a home, proficiency... All aspects of life are structured this way.

Five small things I can do today to steer my life in the right direction:

  • Throw out that pack of smokes, that slip is about to become a relapse.
  • Go to the gym; it's arms day.
  • Seek out my small miracle of the day.
  • Clean anything in my home for an hour.
  • Call a friend I haven't spoken to in a while.

No big deal, but anything that does not point me in, or maintain the right direction is a waste of time. Where's my compass?

No comments: