Speaking of ma-widge...

I wish someone read this blog so they could help me trully understand this gay marriage problem. Here's my current take on the situation: Marriage is a religious institution. I still hold to seperation of church and state and don't believe that the government should be able to tell a church whether or not they are to allow people to marry. If I go to a catholic church I'm not going to expect the priest to wear a yamica just because that's part of my belief system. Of course, if I attend a Unitarian Church I do expect that would be able to marry/ be joined with a man.

Just before this past "election" Bush came out and said, very publicly, that he was for civil unions and extension of full benefits to same-sex couples. Where did THAT come from, and more importantly, where did it go? What I dont understand is why the government cannot pass anti-discrimination legislation to allow same sex couples to come together in civil union, with the SAME legal, tax, medical, etc. benefits of married straight couples, and then leave it up to individual churches from there? My church would surely allow me to marry if they were allowed the choice. That's why I attend. I do not believe gay marriage is a Christian, but I also believe that Christianity is not the only choice. I dream of a nice civil union ceremony with friends and family at my church. I want a beautiful reception and a partner to happily share the rest of my life with. I do not want to be "married," although they sure would look the same in daily life.

Now, for clarity, my non-existant reader, understand that I am not in a position to marry/ partner/ cohabitate/ have a ceremony/ or even attend a church with my BF. My BF is not interested, does not believe in it, thinks his life is a sin as it is. SO, I guess it's a mute point for me, but for those couple that are in a safe/ comfortable/ loving enough place to seek marriage, let it be known that I'm behind them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL -- I know what you mean.

Thanks for signing my guestbook at http://www.notouchy.com

Send me an email back so we can chat at http://www.notouchy.com/email/

Hope to hear back from ya...

BlueEyedLevity - J

Anonymous said...

"Marriage" as a true union between loving and consenting adults is one thing. Marriage as politics is a whole other ball of worms. Using "same sex unions" as a means to solicit political favor is not the way to go. No one is going to change three hundred years of patriarchal rule and biblical dictation overnight.