Poor choices/ good book

In response to a recent post at One Gay at a Time:

I agree to an extent that he lied, flat out. I don't mind that he is now precariously perched upon his throne; it worried me to see him there because it seemed more difficult for people to do what he's done. Hopefully now, as more of an "every man," people will feel more empowered to make some of the scary choices/ changes they may need to make.

It pisses me off to hear that people are insiting upon their money back. Americans can be such assholes. It also concerns me, as it does you, that this will surely be a enough justification for someone who is already one foot off the wagon to start upm again. That's sad, but it's more in part to all of the hoopla than the revelation itself. It was not a personal attack, it was an extension of a few minor, and irrelevant details. Yes, it helped him sell books/ find a publisher. Yes it makes it more exciting to think it's all true as you go through, but the heart of the story planted some very important seeds within me and others. I relate all too well to the rage he speaks of and had never noticed it before. It's started a very important line of thought for me and I refuse to transfer my energy into pointing fingers. I choose to see how I relate to the story and put energy into making myself a better person. I don't know, but it seemed to me that the arrest story and some of the relationship stuff was simply added to keep those readers that did not relate, or did not want to relate, to the rest of the events.

That said, I will admit this: I will not be purchasing "My friend Leonard."

2 comments:

Abreu, Jorge said...

Hey, I'm forced to assume you're speaking of the frey book that people are all going crazy about because they found out it was partly false. I really have to say, I picked it up after you recommended it and immediately was caught with the book. I enjoyed it very much but at the same time I think you can tell the story was glamorized to a certain extent. I do think it's unfair he won prizes for best non fiction and what have you but then again is it really his fault since society would want to judge you, just as well as what you write.

epicurist said...

I have certain sentiments regarding the whole situation. Whether the man was taking literary license or not, should not be the focus at this time. It is obvious that his book (memoir, story, whatever you want to call it) touched many souls and has affected them in a good way. you just can't turn that off.

BTW, great posts on this site.