A legacy of crabs...

My grandfather passed away this morning at about 4:30 am, about nine months after they discovered polyps in his colon. Liver cancer.

I have thought often today, and in the monhts and years before, about this man. I would not describe him as a happy man. He's not a man who embraced you physically or emotionally. Quick qith wit, his humor always had a biting edge. I've even, at time, resented this man for not trying harder to show his love for my father and others around him, but, that's our legacy. Each generation has this crabbiness, and each of us works to be a better person. He was no exception.

My grandfather's mother died when I was in high school. This is the woman who did not talk to my father for two years because his hair was too long. All she ever wanted, and received, for christmas was a carton of menthol cigarettes. Her last words on this earth were, "you're breath stinks and you ain't got no goddamn manners." I know where my grandfather ("Pop") got it from. It's lessened in each generation, but I've got it too. Pop may have realized it later in life, before the move to Florida, because he DID loosen up. He did smile a little easier, and he did show appreciation. He took us down to his house boat on the Chesapeake Bay to go crabbing, and we'd have enourmous crab feasts afterwards (with the crabs we bought on the way home). I remember the smell of those cigar boxes he'd give me to collect butterflies with as well as the garden he took so much pride in. He had a right to take pride as he harvested full sized and delicious vegetables from a ten by thirty patch on the back side of their baltimore city brownstone. It seems that an above ground pool once sat on that spot.

Pop took me fishing, taught me the power of silence and the importance of family. I will miss him. Orlando, here I come.

4 comments:

epicurist said...

Tay, sorry to hear about your Pop. I too have a family who has held bitterness in their hearts, but time lessened it for most. Most of the generations past my fathers grandfather have worked hard not to be like him, but it comes out every now and again. Sending you virtual hugs!

Tay Hota said...

thanks Epi, for the comment, and J for the phone message tonight (I love oyu too!!). Service is tomorrow afternoon, and I'm not looking forward to it. This trip is really putting some important things in perspective for me, some things I really need to start acting on... Amazing the things that emotions can bring up in a family... will be interesting to see how some things that were put on the table tonight will play out tomorrow... my cousin's resentment for my family... maybe not without reason... anyway, looked through some old photos of Pop at Nan's house tonight... ya know, he was smiling in every one of them... he could be a harsh man, but he had a lot of love to share as well... and I'll be damned, but seems he has a gay brother I'd never heard about until tonight... amazing...

Anonymous said...

We will have to talk about those things over beer sometime this week. I too have spent a lot of time with my family this week and it does make me feel funny. Makes me wish I had more than two dogs to come home to, makes me want to spend more time with my granny and aunt Ocho Lee. I don't know if I'm tricking myself into thinking that I don't want to get married in order to avoid putting myself out there. Who knows? I do know that I love you and that you are the closest to me and I don't want us to ever be apart. All the other stuff we will discuss later, okay?
Call me when you get back. -J

Anonymous said...

Hey Tay, sorry to hear about your gran!! I have been rehearsing and traveling and little time to write or read.

Hope you are okay. Take your own time now.

Let's speak soon.

Rocco xx